Monday, April 16, 2007

Re: Carmela

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:02 PM
Samantha Kleier

Oh no – I disagree! Interestingly enough, I could have seen Carmela perhaps playing a role earlier, when she was weaker and oblivious. Now that she has grown into a stronger woman, I think she (like you said) very much enjoys her role as a mob wife, and I agree, part of her main attraction to Tony is his power and maleness. But I think she actually truly loves him now. I think their marriage has weathered the storm, so to speak, and she is wiser. But I think her knowledge has made her appreciate him more. The book “Paradise Lost” (for which I wrote a most brilliant paper in college, I must say), is all about temptation, and the forbidden fruit – the apple. When Eve bites the apple (she is tempted by a serpent) her and Adam fall out of paradise. They are no longer innocent. She is blamed for the “fall” of Adam and Eve and also of mankind. I think Chase in the Sopranos – which on an obvious level is all about the power of men and guns (the ultimate phallic symbol) is portraying a similar theme. It is the women of the sopranos who are actually the stronger ones, the more manipulative ones, the ones who succumb more to temptation (Jonathan, if you agree, you could fill in examples here). But look at his women – Livia, Janice, Carmela, Adriana, even Gloria. I do not think though that Carmela will have a hand in his murder. I think she really really loves him. and may be the one who saves him too (as you pointed out –she now is aware that he is weak and vulnerable). Love you, and totally agree – we have a Sopranos book club. I love it. so stimulating and exciting.

No comments: